With new guidance from the unions we work with, and the local government, we thought now would be an ideal time to recap the rules in place, and the changes to come July 1 (including the new Facemask Fridays).
Time is moving at a strange speed this summer. While it feels like the season has just begun, here we are looking at closing the first two plays in the next two weeks. Much has changed since we started our season a mere month ago, with guidance from the unions we work with, and the counties that surround the theater being regularly rewritten. And there are more changes to come – we’ve already planned to relax some protocols with the opening of the next two plays, An Iliad and Rough Crossing. There’s a lot to keep straight, so we thought a summary was in order. And, as has been the way of the season, these, too, are subject to change.
What remains the same:
- Masks are required in all indoor spaces, including the Touchstone Theatre, the Shops, restrooms and shuttles and tram.
- Capacity in both theaters is limited to 25%.
- For everyone’s comfort and confidence, please continue to maintain social distance from those around you.
- Do not come to APT if you have any COVID-like symptoms. Call the box office to discuss your options of refund, exchange to another in-person performance or exchange for the APT at Home version up until an hour before show time if you feel unwell.
- We’re still using (free) shuttle tickets to maintain social distance on our shuttles to the Hill Theatre. If you need a shuttle ride, please get a ticket either online or by calling the box office. No tickets necessary for the tram to the Touchstone Theatre.
- The stars remain beautiful, and the whip-poor-wills are excited to have you home.
Recent changes that are in effect right now:
- In the outdoor Hill Theatre you may take a “mask break” if needed for your comfort and well-being.
- You are no longer required to wear a mask in the picnic area or on the paths to the theater.
- Food and drink is now allowed in the outdoor Hill Theatre.
- We’ve simplified registration for our Beyond the Plays events. Find the links to join on our website about two weeks before the program. If you’ve already registered through the box office, don’t worry – we’ll still send you the link by email.
More changes to come (as of July 1):
- Masks will no longer be required in the outdoor Hill Theatre.
- Capacity in both theaters will be raised to 50%.
- For those who prefer a fully masked environment, we have designated #FacemaskFridays, three performances of Rough Crossing when masks will be required. Those dates are July 9, 23, 30. July 9 is also a Four Pack performance. If you want to exchange into, or out of, these performances, contact the box office at 608-588-2361.
- Shuttle tickets will no longer be needed for a ride to the Hill Theatre, though shuttle capacity will still be limited for each run.
- When in doubt, call the Box Office: We continue to use the tool in our ticketing software that automatically leaves empty seats between parties. The downside of this system is that instead of selecting specific seats, you choose the section and price level you prefer, and the system assigns the best seats available. It can be a bit confusing, so remember that our friendly box office staff is available by phone if you would like to talk through seating options to make your purchase. Box office hours are Monday – Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm, and until 15 minutes past curtain time when there is a performance. And Sundays 2:30 – 6:15 pm, or 11 am – 6:15 pm when there is a Sunday matinee. Their phone number is 608-588-2361.
- Auxiliary Seating in Touchstone: We’ll once again offer the tall director’s chairs in the Touchstone Theatre to increase our capacity a bit while still maintaining social distance. It’s a great option to get seats for an otherwise sold out performance. Call the box office for more information – they are not available online.
- Check Back: If seats aren’t available in the section you want, we encourage you to check back. In order to maintain social distance, we’re working to stagger people from one row to the next. We open every other row and as those rows fill, we open some seats in the rows between. Plus, many people take advantage of our convenient exchange policy, which can also lead to increased seating options for you.
- Thanks for your patience: Finally, thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate these changes. We understand it’s not ideal, and we are grateful you’re sticking with us.
Finally, a couple announcements:
- The Box Office will be closed on July 5 in observance of Independence Day.
- Highway 14 is closed in Mazomanie through the end of the month. Read about the detour here. Also the Highway 23 bridge between Spring Green and County C is one lane (with traffic lights). Please allow extra time if either of these detours are on your route to APT.