American Players Theatre’s mission is to perform timeless, challenging, poetic texts, with Shakespeare at the center, to the broadest audience possible. We strive to share our understanding that great poetry and stories, both from our past and from the emerging voices of our future, can illuminate the ever-expanding experience of what it is to be human.
How we treat each other matters. How we work with each other matters. How we make art matters. Over time, we’ve found some ideas that help us bring our best selves to our work at APT. They aren’t the only ideas, and they may change over time. These ideas, today, seem to be our best expression of who we want to be.
- We believe that each member of the APT community plays a vital role in creating a unique and personal experience for our audience.
- We aim to be clear on APT’s mission and how each of us contributes to that mission.
- We work to make everyone feel welcome.
- We believe that a rich diversity of people, ideas and experiences gives us strength.
- We strive to create an environment of trust.
- We treat each other with respect and kindness.
- We depend on each other for clear, honest and responsible communication.
- We value the learning that comes from difficult conversations.
- We listen to what is being said and to what’s NOT being said.
- We encourage each other to express ourselves. There is no question we can't ask.
- We embrace individuality and personal strengths.
- We endeavor to create a space where personal agency thrives.
- We each take personal responsibility for the quality of our work environment and the work environment of others.
- We take pride in our work and hold ourselves to a high standard of accomplishment.
- We find joy in challenging ourselves to do better.
- We rely on each other to aspire to these values and forgive each other when we fall short.
- We believe that there is always more to learn.
This is what we know to be true: the “magic” of APT doesn’t just happen. It’s hard work. And it’s on purpose.